Posted on 6 December 2020
The website www.taranakitrails.nz shows all the walkways and cycleways that you can walk your dog in Taranaki.
Just go to the “Find my adventure” page, and click “dog walking” in the Activity Type drop down menu.
- In addition to this, please note that dogs are prohibited in these places:
- Mount Taranaki & surrounding National Park
- Ngāmotu Beach and Breakwater Bay
- Meeting of the Waters
- Whitecliffs Walkway
- Everett Park Scenic Reserve
- Rotokare Scenic Reserve
There is also restricted access at these popular places:
- Lake Mangamahoe: No dogs within 200m of the lake. Dogs can be walked on lead on the Lake Circuit Walk, and off lead in other areas of the forest, bridle trails and mountain bike tracks if dogs are kept under good control (close and within sight).
- Pukekura Park: No dogs near Children’s Playgrounds, the Fernery & Display houses, Brooklands Zoo, and 7pm – midnight during the Festival of Lights.
- Barrett Domain: Dogs must be on lead around Barrett Lagoon due to wildlife.